Surf lessons from Tarzan in Choroni

Tuesday, January 19, 2010

Day Two-Orientacion






Today was a long day, nothing short of Venezuelan culture though. We had an orientation this morning at 9am. So we left the house at 8:30 to arrive on time. Well who cares if you arrive on time .... we did not start the orienation until after 9:40 pm. Granted there was another power outage so that caused some complications with the orientation. After the orientation, we had a break for lunch. Seeing as none of us really knew our way around or where to get food, we went across the street to a little shop that sold snacks. So for lunch I had fried plantains and a Nestea. Not a big lunch at all. I was starving! Then they had a historic walking tour planned for us of the city. We took a bus to center of Merida and all 30 of us Piled out. All the locals were just staring at us, Which who wouldn 't? We had a very large group and did not look Venezuelan ... perfect reason to stare. Except that it felt like we were being parade around the city with a megaphone saying "Hello, we are Americans! Look at us!" Remember our faces and mug us later. "Hahaha We went all over town and I dont really remember what we saw. Although I do remember that there were so many stray dogs everywhere! One of them was limping around and I felt so helpless. Also, on the way to school we see the same dog walking around and I speak Spanish to him everyday.:)


Now I remember what we saw! How could I forget about ice cream?! We went to the ice cream place that is in the Guiness Book of World records for the most flavors. They have meat, carrot, rice, ham and cheese and beer flavored ice cream to name a few out of the hundreds. I wasn't feeling too adventurous so I stuck with a scoop of cookie and chocolate.




Oh and they had a UCF banner up in our school, VENUSA!!

No comments: