Surf lessons from Tarzan in Choroni

Saturday, January 23, 2010

Out on the Town

Today I went with Rosa and her boyfriend, Angel, to do some shopping and run errands around town. We went to the center of Merida to look for books and shoes. I love bookstores so it was really fun! They are all so tiny...nothing like the Barnes and Noble back home. While we were shopping the power went out and within minutes all the businesses had their generators pumping gas, creating noise in the streets. We also stopped by a building of the ULA (Univerisdad de Los Andes) and high school band students were practicing! I think then it really hit me how beautiful it was to know that music is a universal language. I could have picked up a trombone and played along with them! How cool!

We went to the mall for lunch: had pizza in the food court. But on our way to the food court we passed by vivante ice cream! It looked so creamy and delicious! I was going to have some on our way out of the mall. Well.....life really is too short, you MUST eat dessert first, because sure enough the power went out and they had to pull the ice cream so that it wouldn't melt. I didn't get my ice cream. :( Rosa and I played scrabble tonight! She of course if very good, but I can at least use a dictionary. Great way to learn new words!