Surf lessons from Tarzan in Choroni

Tuesday, February 23, 2010

Chavez, Chavez, Chavez...

So this past weekend was really fun! I had a trip to the Botanical Gardens for my ecology class. I took so many pictures of the beautiful tropical flowers. Bird of paradise is my favorite! We went to the movies on Saturday night to see Valentine's Day. The movie was in English, but with Spanish subtitles. I had fun comparing what they said in English to the translations. Sometimes they were really funny and incorrect!! I plan on going to the movies again if Dear John comes out while I am here in Venezuela. For those two hours I felt like I was back in the states, but then the lights turned back on and everybody was speaking spanish. Back to reality!
Then on Sunday I went to the exposicion again with Marissa and bought another box of chocolates. So bad!! But the guy selling it to me threw in some extra candy bars, so I caved. I also bought two more soccer jerseys. They are so cheap here! Well, while we were spending all our money at the exposicion, Chavez was in Merida blabbing away about opening an electric plant or something. So funny enough the power didn't go out on Sunday from 2-4pm like it has for the past month. Why? Well Chavez was in town and his session was broadcasted on television!! It was nice not having the power go off, since I was working on my ecology exam, but I assumed that meant we would have to 'make-up' those two hours some other time. Well, we didn't! We got a free day...how nice of Chavez.