Surf lessons from Tarzan in Choroni

Saturday, March 13, 2010

Leguna Negra Camping



This week was a little stressful in deciding what to do and making plans for the camping trip. Nobody here is decisive at all. So it was hectic getting organized for a camping trip to Leguna Negra in National Park Sierra Nevada. But we did it! This was an amazing location to go camping. We camped along side of la Leguna Negra, which is tucked back in the mountains. The hike was hard because of the altitude. My heart was going crazy, but I slowed down and enjoyed the view. We were as high up as the clouds! We camped in a valley with huge mountain ranges running along both sides of us. The area we camped in was a bog/marsh area, which I found out the hard way. We wanted to explore, but soon I found myself sinking into the ground and so I just ran as fast as I could to the other side. I was covered in mud and my shoes are destroyed. But I had fun! We didn't see any animals, but I did encounter a cave on our hike to the other side of the lagoon. Nobody else was out there with us, so it was just our group of 7. So peaceful! We had nothing to do and it felt nice to relax in such a breathtaking landscape. I would close my eyes and listen to the sounds of nature, only to open my eyes again and be stunned by the beauty. I am so lucky! After night fell, we watched the stars for a while. I found Orion's belt and the rest of his body, which I learned from our trip to the science museum. I also saw 3 shooting stars!!! But once the sun went down, it was freezing. The temperature difference is very drastic en el paramo. Summer during the day and winter during the night. We woke up to a frozen tent!

No comments: