Surf lessons from Tarzan in Choroni

Thursday, April 22, 2010

Debate

Leunam, my history professor, organized a debate today at VENUSA. It was venezuelans vs. Americans and the two topics were: Global Warming and then Politics in Venezuela. The first part of the debate was really great, mainly because I think everyone is in agreement that the climate of the Earth is changing so no hot tempers. However, when we switched to the politics of Venezuela it got a little heated. There were Chavista's there and anti-chavistas so of course they were going to butt heads. Funny part was one of the VENUSA students, Juampi, who hangs out with all the gringos all the time is a chavista?! He was getting really into the debate and actually cutting people off when they were speaking. Johan was not really happy with him! Nothing got too out of control and for the gringos we didn't have anyplace arguing with them on this subject. I feel that we only have an outsider's perspective on this and although we spent almost 4 months living here...it's not enough to justify our opinion. The venezuelans live this everyday! The debate was really great and very informative. For me, I enjoyed hearing both sides argue their point. After the debate, everbody cooled off over some Solera Azul. haha Only in VZ!

Of course when I got back from the debate I went to the tienda to buy some chocolate from my favorite tienda man. and only in venezuela can you strike up a conversation about politics and Chavez in a tienda while people come in buy what they need to buy and throw in their two cents on the matter!! I talked to him for about 20 minutes!

No comments: