Surf lessons from Tarzan in Choroni

Saturday, April 24, 2010

Zapatos Rotos

So those cute turqoise shoes I bought yesterday...well I wore them out last night for only 2 hours and they fell apart. That's what I get for buying shoes in VZ? Well I told my mom about them today during lunch and she gave told me I should return them and see if I could either get my money back or exchange them for a new pair. I was super nervous because I didn't know how I was going to argue my point/explain what happened in spanish. So I had Marissa come along for moral support.
When we got on the buseta, the same younger kids from yesterday were sitting behind us!! as if they were waiting for us to get on the bus?! so crazy! We just started giggling and they of course were trying to tell us things in english, but we couldn't understand anything they were saying. They told us we were beautiful and then asked for a kiss when we went to get off the bus. How can people BE so forward?

Anyway, I walked into the store with my broken shoes and a smile on my face. The lady recognized me right away and asked how I was doing. Ummmmm....well not so good. I explained the best I could and showed her what happened with my shoes. She got on the phone to call the manufacturer or something. Then she offered to exchange them for another pair, but they didn't have my size. So then she said I could find a different style of shoe or get my money back! She was so nice about it! SCORE! Successfully argued my point in a nice way and got my money back. Then Marissa and I spent it at the Merengada place. Chococambur otra vez!

On our buseta home, the cutest little boy with a crooked smile sat in front of us and heard us speaking english. He said Hello! and then grinned from ear to ear. He pulled out his trompo (spinning top) and started wrapping the string around like he was getting ready to play with it on the buseta. I told him that my friend Fernando had one of those too and that I could make it spin!! He was so cute and just grinned that crooked smile of his. People here are so friendly!

No comments: